Friday, June 12, 2009

If you hug a tree, does it hug you back?

Alright. It's time for confession. I can't stop being a Christian (with all the baggage attached to the name). I love Jesus. I've met Him and can get rid of Him. Yet there is more to Him (the Trinity I mean). I know that the teachings I've received in the Assembly of God and Vineyard Churches are just part of the story. With this in mind I started exploring the "other" Christian philosophies and universal theories out there. I went to Beliefnet.com and took there "belief-o-matic" quiz for some perspective on what line of belief I really have.


I could help but come out as Christian (the answers are pretty ridged) but a liberal one at that. Not really surprise since I do know I believe in the feminine divine idea (oh, I need to explore that idea too...) Of the list I came across some interesting groups.


One I came across is Bahá'í (http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Bahai/What-Bahs-Believe.aspx) faith and another is the Church of New Thought; the link is that they both look at Jesus as a part of the whole and have a church/building to meet in. They have a view of the world that is universal in scope with a liberal dose of Eastern thought.


I looked a little deep and found a Bahá'í decenter (http://www.bahai-faith.com/ex-Bahai-4.html) had some good insight into the patriarchal dimension and screwy "one way" doctrine that reminded me of Mormonism. Without going much deeper, I realized that was not a church for me.


Then I did some research on the New Thought movement and Unity Churches (there is one here in Pittsburgh). A large part of this ideology is that we have the Divine spark like Jesus did but we are really just like Jesus and just don't know it yet. I'm just not too sure about this idea. There is more to this world than just a bunch of bad decision - I do believe in evil and good existing outside of ourselves. This philosophy may be okay with my ideas but I don't see it so far.


Oh, well...I guess I'll just continue to hug my "Mother" and pray to Jesus for now...

No comments: