Monday, June 15, 2009

the Value of Tolerance


I think many of my Christian friends would find it interesting that this month Pagan all over are talking about “Pagan Values.” Even if my friends think of Pagans as being hippie-dippy weed-smoking weirdoes? Well maybe some Pagans are (smile) but there is such an array of people that make up the earth-religion movement that I think my friends would be surprised. Those Pagans I’ve met (online and in person) are usually highly educated, caring, and other-centered people. I have no problem being associated with the Pagan community (though I’m not sure where I am yet with titles and labels).

I know that I did have many issues with being called a Christian, especially as a teenager. My friends were finally realizing that the history of the Western world was heavily influence by “Christian” wars and hatred. “Christian” meant things like narrow-minded, power-hungry, fearful, arrogant, elitists, oppressors, and the list goes on and on. All of these things are true. Yet what culture hasn’t done all of the above? And how many haven’t used their religion or a deity’s support to justify their actions?

Last year in an attempt to reconcile my issues with God I read The reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Timothy Keller. He brought up some good things about how culture and Christianity can come into conflict and culture often turns more wheels of culture and not so much on philosophy. As humans we use what we can to get what we want. He made a test of this by looking at the French Revolution which led to much death and oppression in the name of humanism. Or looking at the blooming of Communism which marched through-out Europe and Asia (and elsewhere) in the name of the Oppressed (in turn oppressing others).

So if this country turned on its head and became completely Pagan, I believe the devious and power-hungry would find a way to make war and oppress another “other.” Now I’m not saying the values of earth-based religions are less-than or just-like Christianity, but there will always be someone out there ready to exploit those around them. We (as humans) want to have comfort and peace but this world is just too big to make everyone’s desires and points of view line up to one another.

I think we have admit that the system of religious tolerance is the best way to make things work for everyone (unless humanity gets its act together). Christians and Pagans have to admit that they don’t often agree but it okay to disagree. As a fence sitter, I might not gain much respect for these ideas but that is one reason I am able to be a fence sitter. I can go to any church (or none at all) at this time in history. Now my family might not like my decision (as they are Christian) but they respect this idea of tolerance to point of letting me find my way. I think that if my family can do it, then it can’t be impossible for the wider world to find that balance, too.

Therefore, I think that if the Pagan community could truly be tolerant (because I’ve met some hostilities with-in this world) I would be more likely to join in wholeheartedly. As it stands I currently fear exposing my true feelings and attachments to the Christian beliefs I love and cherish too many in my local Pagan community. May things change for the better…

No comments: